Being brutally honest about books

Tuesday 25 August 2015

Top Ten Books That Would be on My Syllabus if I Taught Historical Fiction 101

Top Ten Tuesday is an awesome weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's theme is Top Ten Books That Would Be On Your Syllabus If You Taught X 101 (examples: YA fantasy 101, feminist literature 101, magic in YA 101, classic YA lit 101, world-building 101).
1.
Burial Rites

Burial Rites by Hannah Kent

I reviewed this the other week and gave it a pretty high rating, so it has to make the list!

2.
 The Song of Achilles
The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

More mythology than historical fiction, but it's still all shades of awesome. I reviewed this one too.

3.
The Ruby In The Smoke (Sally Lockhart #1)
The Ruby in the Smoke by Philip Pullman

There might not be much to teach, but it's still excellent. The students would probably end up finishing the series without me needing to say so.

4.
The Watch That Ends the Night

Everything they need to know about Titanic they would learn from this book. I reviewed this last year.

5.
The Sultan's Eyes
The Sultan's Eyes

Theodora: Actress, Empress, Whore


The Girl in the Mask
The Phantom of the Opera
The Silver Blade
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, #1)

I'm Alexandria, a 19-year-old reader/writer/blogger from New Zealand. I love language, history, and sci-fi. Hi! I'm always around if you want to talk, which you can do via comments, the contact form, or Facebook.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.